Saturday, August 8, 2009

Wedding Save The Date Cards

I had to learn the hard way. Air conditioning and a wax stick do not mix well. I'm working on our save the date cards for the wedding. I am making them myself and its taken a lot longer than I thought it would. Thank goodness the man I am to marry takes great pride and pays great attention to detail so the word spacing on the card is just perfect. And, he made me a template so I knew where to put the seal on every card.

Template made by my guy - line the the template against the top of the card and trace the circle around the center hole and use that as the wax guide!

So, back to the air conditioning. When doing the wax seal, you first light the wick and position the stick over desired wax location and wait for the wax to melt and drip. After much anticipation and preparation I started the process. The stick hovered over its target. Just waiting. Waiting for the wax to melt. Waiting for the pencil circle to be covered. Waiting for the special seal that would add my personal touch to the save the date card.

Then, the air conditioner turned on. First, the flame flickered. Then the flame flared. Then the flared flame caught the wax stick on fire. When the wax stick caught on fire, the wax melted. Fast. Very fast. And the breeze coming out of the overhead vent cause the wax to fly in different directions. Long silver strands of hot wax covered my work surface, my fingers and the card I was working on. No, wax and air conditioning do not mix. I learned that the hard way.

Pictures of the first batch of finished cards.

Close up of my wax seal - A snowflake in August. Winter where are you?


1 comment: